Politics

We are not aware of $875 million ammunition deal ‘blocked by US lawmakers’ – FG

The Federal Government on Friday, said it is not aware of of any $875 million ammunition deal with the United States, Newspremises reports.

It was previously reported that that some US lawmakers allegedly blocked the deal.

The report listed the blocked proposed sale to include 12 AH-1 Cobra attack helicopters accompanied by defence systems, 28 helicopter engines produced by GE Aviation and 14 military-grade aircraft navigation systems made by Honeywell.

However, Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, dismissed the report describing it as ” fake news.”

The minister made the disclosure while speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday, he said there was no contract of such nature and sum between Nigeria and the US.

“There is no contract of arms between the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the United States of America today, apart from the 12 Super Tucano Attack Helicopters of which six had been delivered.

“We are quite satisfied with the progress and cooperation that we received from the government of the US on this issue.

“As a matter of fact, six of the Tucano helicopter will be launched on Aug. 3, this year.

“We are not aware of the so-called 875million USD arms contract or some helicopters which they said some lawmakers in the US are trying to persuade the president of the US not to honour.

”The relationship between Nigeria and the US is smooth and waxing stronger,’’ Mohammed said.

The reports in some sections of the media had claimed that influential U.S. lawmakers were masterminding a hold on a proposed sale of ammunition and attack helicopters to Nigeria over allegations of human rights abuses and anti-democratic actions of the present administration.

Related posts

Hanan Buhari Graduates With Masters Degree From Royal College Of Art, UK (Video)

admin

I was happy with Nnamdi Kanu’s arrest. Bandits, Boko Haram are different from IPOB – El-Rufai speaks on IPOB leader’s arrest

admin

FG Begins Cash Transfer To 200,000 Nigerians

admin

Leave a Comment